Turning A Dress into A Swimsuit

Video link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSakVz9FO08&t=3s&ab_channel=coolirpa

I thrifted this dress for $7, and thought the twisty draped design would look really cute as a swimsuit! Especially to add extra coverage over the belly area.

First I took apart the dress, and since the lining only stretches one way it won’t be good for a swimsuit, so I purchased new swim fabric for the lining.

I traced out one of my bodysuits onto the lining fabric, and will be sewing it first to test the fit.

I trimmed the neckline so the back is a little lower, and then I undo my basting stitch, so I can cut each piece out from the dress.

For the back I’m leaving it as is, and cutting out the same lining piece.

Now I’m going to sew the lining suit together at the side seams and crotch seam.

Next, I thought I’d try to sew cups into a swimsuit for the first time. These are some padded cups I got from Joann, and I’m going to pin them in place on the wrong side of the lining suit. Once they look pretty even, I go ahead and and sew them along the edge with a zigzag stitch.

Afterwards, flip the lining over and cut the lining out inside the stitching so the cups are released. I was really proud of how they turned out!

Before sewing the outer layer, I gathered the top of the swimsuit to fit the length of the backside.

Then I lay the twisted piece over the front of the swimsuit, and sewed it to the sides. This took some time to make sure all the pleats were in place, and I had to make sure it wasn’t too close to the leg holes because I still have to hem it later.

Once the front of the swimsuit is complete, we can face it right sides together with the backside and sew it at the side seams and crotch seam.

Now that the lining and outside swimsuit are sewn, went ahead and sewed them together along the top, and sewed elastic to help hold it up, but then remembered how much I hated strapless things so I undid everything and created straps first.